- Betina Giordano, graphic designer at Santiago, Chile, designed the
cover of the book.
- Heikki Hyyrö, PhD. student at University of Tampere, Finland,
gave us an excellent explanation of Myers' bit-parallel algorithm and
authorized us to write Section 6.4.2 based on his manuscripts. He also found
the improvement of Section 4.5 mentioned in the "extra material and comments"
- Manuel Ortega, undergraduate student at University of Chile, Chile,
carefully checked the book, especially the algorithms and examples, and
found tens of errors before the book appeared.
- Alvaro Herrera, undergraduate student at University of Chile, Chile,
found some small mistakes before the book appeared.
- Michiel Frishert, MSc. student at University of Technology
Eindhoven, The Netherlands, found an error in page 114.
- Rodrigo González, PhD. student at University of Chile, Chile,
found some small mistakes in pages 26, 33 and 58.
- Lucian Ilie, University of Western Ontario, Canada, found several
errors in pages 25, 31, 56, 84, 90, 92, 128, 157-158, 159, 160 and 172. He also
pointed out an update in page 139.
- Karina Figueroa, PhD. student at University of Chile, Chile,
found small errors in pages 69 and 120.
- Diego Arroyuelo, PhD. student at University of Chile, Chile,
found some small mistakes in pages 18, 50 and 105.
- Aki Hasegawa, Bioinformatics Group, Genomic Sciences Center (GSC),
RIKEN, Japan, found several mistakes in pages 53, 54, 72, 89, 110 and 116.
- Fabiano Cupertino Botelho, a PhD. student at Universidade Federal
de Minas Gerais, Brazil, and his advisor Nivio Ziviani, found an error
in page 153. Actually Heikki Hyyrö had pointed out the error long before,
but for some reason I forgot to add it to the erratas. It is interesting that
this error has propagated for long time in many papers of approximate string
- Liu Ping, Chinese Academy of Sciences, pointed out an error and
possible improvements in the pseudocode of page 71.
- Piti Piyachon, a student at University of Massachusetts Lowell,
noticed it is not said that the parser in page 140 needs fully parenthesized
- Pierre Vanmosnenck, Belgium, found the mistakes in pages 21 and
- Joaquín Adiego, from Universidad de Valladolid, Spain,
communicated the error on the argument in page 64.